Sunday, January 20, 2013

HELLP Primer and Sunday Update

Here's your update for the day...I'm getting snapped at to REST and go to bed, so you're going to get the primer version of HELLP Syndrome and how we're all doing in the hospital.

HELLP is a pregnancy complication that is related to preeclampsia, and usually occurs later in pregnancy and is identified by three specific things:  the breaking down of red blood cells (hemolysis- H), elevated liver enzymes (EL) and low platelet counts (LP).  When we arrived at the ER on Thursday night, my liver enzyme levels were extremely high, as was my white blood cell count AND my platelet count was a 68 (that's in thousands...) when it should be much, much higher than that.  The only real treatment for this syndrome is to deliver the baby, but since we're only at 30 weeks tomorrow, that was also going to be a problem to give baby girl the best chance possible outside of my body.

So, what did that mean for admittance to the hospital?  It meant I needed immediate intervention, to focus on my platelet count, lower my blood pressure, and make sure I didn't start seizing.  I have been on a lovely magnesium drip since Thursday night to help with that last issue.  Sadly, it is still hooked up to my IV and makes me feel like crap.  But I guess I'll take that over seizures any day.

It should come as no surprise that I have won (I am using this term loosely) the award for sickest patient in the birth center.  Coming from the competitive stock I do, "winning" this award is not something I will be letting go of easily.  My body has, however, ALSO made amazing strides to make up for my low platelet count (now at 135!!!).  I am also now accustomed to one-on-one nurses (who, geez, are ALL amazing superhero people!) because I'm a "mag" and severe HELLP patient...it's going to come as quite a shock when I come out of that c-section and I'm a "commoner" like the rest of the patients in the birth center and have to share the staff.

Several people have made comments to me or my parents about how it must be hard for one of those Kolczynskis to stay still in bed...uh, you know us so well.  We've had great support from both sets of grandparents who are running around for us picking things up at our houses, mudding the closet in the nursery, and keeping us company.  Chris and I are oh-so-thankful for them and all they do for us.  :)

Right now, we're in a holding pattern.  My levels look ok, baby girl is happy, etc.  I've bought her at least three good days of development and some extra support (had some really cool steroid shots in the cheeks below on Thursday and Friday night to help her develop her lungs as much as possible). But, as soon as those levels start to dip, we're going to be whisked away to surgery and then it's baby girl's fight to begin.  It's a precarious place to be, but we're balancing ok right now.  I guess it's time for sleep?  Who can do that now?!

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers, we sure appreciate them!
Love,
Emily and Chris and Baby Girl Seaman

2 comments:

  1. I just know the little one will do well as long as she's as stubborn as her mama! Love and a really quick light hug!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending you lots of love and good thoughts. I know you have tons of support and love from your wonderful family and friends, but I want you to know if there is ANYTHING I can do, please let me know.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete