Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Happy 3rd Birthday Oliver Finn!

My dear, sweet, charming, mischievous, baby boy.  You are certainly NOT a baby anymore.  Lover of Cars (still), running, Sarah and Duck, your sister,  jumping off of anything ONTO anything, being outside, and eating 'nacks.  You are my best snuggler, best hugger (to the point of strangling sometimes) and best comforter when I'm feeling sad or crummy.















This year you:
-camped and hiked like a pro, keeping up with sister no problem
-went to DISNEYLAND!
-started taking ballet class
-learned to ride your balance bike
-continued with gymnastics class
-moved into a big boy bed, no more crib
-learned how to use the potty
-started ski lessons with Daddy

Funny things you say:
"neck-ey" (naked)
"Za-Zoe" (Zoë)
"Those are mine cars (toys, clothes, stickers, etc)"
"Ah ha ha" in a very Count Dracula voice while you play with Miss Fritter (or any villain)
-"pianyo" (piano)



Your favorite things to play with are your cars (ALL OF THEM ALL THE TIME).  You tote them around in your "lightning 'a-keen" suitcase and then line them up in various places all over the house.  Assistance is needed from sister or mom or dad to tote them up or down the stairs because there are so many (and STILL so many in the closet yet to be gifted!).  You have SO many but definitely know when one is missing.  You request Cars whenever it's your turn to pick a movie; "Miss Fritter One!".






You can ride your balance bike like a pro!  It's amazing how fast you can get going on that thing and you absolutely love it.  I see a new bike in your future for Christmas from Santa...maybe at this rate you'll even skip the training wheels!  Overall, you treat your body like it's a Formula 1 race car and don't care what it takes out or hits in your path.  Your full-speed attitude serves you well in gymnastics as you literally run from one side of the room to the next and leap off of the beam, air mat, and wedge or throw yourself at the rings to fall flat on your back with a quick release.  It's a challenge, though, when you get to ballet since the movements there need to be much more calculated and graceful.  You are an expert frog leaper in the class, though!  I'm impressed you've done such a nice job listening to the teacher and you seem to really love it.  I can't wait to see you on stage during the spring recital.  Two days before your birthday you fell outside into the rock wall off of the deck.  A trip to Seattle Children's Urgent Care resulted in two stitches above your eyebrow.  Geez, kid.





At bedtime we read a book together in Zoë's room and then you get a story with either Mom or Dad in your room.  Your current favorites are "Count the Monkeys" and "Love Monster and the Scary Something" (you jump every time we get to the "BANG!" page and it's hilarious).  You share taking turns choosing the stories (if Mama is doing your bedtime, you get to pick the joint book) and you ALWAYS demand the "flower song" from me, "the WHOLE thing" (which I always shorten because geez, kid, it's so long AND you always start chattering halfway through it so it's hard to sing.  About three words into the song you'll always whisper and grab my arm and say "and snuggle with me, two minutes".  Always.  As if I don't do it every. single. night.  Recently, once your two minutes of snuggling is up, you've started to wrap your arms around my neck and beg, "stay here forever" which melts my heart.


You are naughty and mischievous and charming all in one.  It is SO hard to keep a straight face when you so matter-of-factly make a statement with your hands thrown in the air, your head cocked to one side, and that little wiggle you make with your shoulders.  You do NOT like being told what to do.  If it's your idea, you're fine with it.  This has applied to nearly everything in our house from using the potty to picking up toys (just last week you had all of your Cars taken away because you wouldn't help sister pick up) to getting ready for bed.  Your negotiation skills are amazing; "maybe I just have fie M&Ms?" when you were offered three.








I love to watch all of the independence you are claiming on a daily basis.  You love to take your pull-up off after nap time or in the morning and can put your undies and pants on correctly 90% of the time.  You are pretty great at washing hands and going potty by yourself, getting your shoes, opening up the back door to let Fiona in or out (your job) or attempting to put dishes on the table (a risky venture).

Within the past few weeks you are HUN-GEY!!! ALL. THE. TIME.  I started to think it was a stall tactic, but you seem to be genuinely hungry often.  And it's not like you get Z Bars or Bunny Crackers ALL the time.  We offer fruit or veggies and you gobble them like you don't know when you'll see your next meal.  We think you're pretty tall and your weight seems to be on par with your sister who is two years older than you.  I guess we'll find out at your doctor's appointment in a few weeks.

It is SO wonderful to see you with your sister.  You loooooooooove her.  I'm pretty sure she is your favorite person and playmate.  You share with her (mostly) and love to do JUST what she is doing with a little more added force and speed.  Recently, you realized that your Cars were a great way to wield power over her because you will randomly announce "I play with my cars by mySELF Za-Zoe" which sends her into a tizzy and usually ends in tears.  Eventually you ALWAYS invite her back in, though, graciously sharing whichever cars she requests.   You beg to sleep with her most every night and it's adorable to see you grab her face and ask "I sleep in yours bed tonight, Za Zoe?"  You are crushed when she tells you "she just wants a few nights alone" (I feel ya' there, sister).  But when you do sleep in her bed it takes you longer to fall asleep and if I come back to check on you sometimes you've got the light back on (or not) reading a few books while she is passed out next to you.  By the time I close her door when I'm heading to bed you are practically on top of her while you sleep.  I'm not sure how we're going to fill our time without her when she heads to kindergarten in the fall, but we'll have to figure it out and be sad together.

I am SO glad to have a loud, rambunctious three year old boy to round out our family and can't imagine anyone else filling that role.  Oliver, you are a marvel: a fast, energy sucking, snuggly, loving, sticky, loud, charming, mischievous boy who is growing far too fast for your mama who wants to hold onto your grinning cheeks forever.  Happy Birthday, monkey, I LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment