Zoë had a great first few days of school and, surprisingly, she was very chatty about all of the details both days! She thinks her teacher walks on water. And I'm ok with that. :)
Our kids are obsessed with games these days. We play one or two nearly every night between dinner and bedtime and we DEFINITELY play Go Fish every time. This is really Zoë's obsession but Oliver is getting freakishly good at remembering who has what. It started out with him comically and accidentally showing us his cards every two seconds. We would all yell "Oliver! Your cards!" and he would scramble to hide them while knocking many of them out of his hand into full view. Or when he'd lean over to 'fish' for a card he'd flash the entire hand to everyone while leaning in. Slowly, he has been getting better at protecting his cards and it seems related to how much better he's gotten at playing, too. Zoë is the WORST loser in the entire world. She pouts. She whines. She kicks her feet. She cries. I'm not sure where she got it. So, all of this game playing is either going to help her out of that rut or just make us all miserable every time we play a game forever. Hopefully the former rather than the latter. Oliver's game of choice is either Candy Land or the egg matching game we have that's adorable.
Zoë has been...emotional. So whiny. So pouty. I'm trying to keep reminding myself that the start of school is the root of all of this emotion but it's hard. We have sworn off any organized activities for the first several weeks of school (no family dinners, no parties, etc) but, against my better judgement, I took Z into town today for an adventure. On Friday when Oliver was telling her all about his fun day riding the train and participating in Park(ing) Day she had some SERIOUS fear of missing out and sobbed about missing all of the fun stuff. Oops. So I told her that if she practiced the piano on Sunday I would take her on an adventure.
We rode the train from the park and ride into downtown and went to Tinkertopia, this super cool alternative art supply store. They have an "Open Tinker" time for an hour and a half and for $7 anybody can have access to any tool there and most of the supplies! SUPER FUN. Zoë had the time of her life and it was so much fun to watch her mind work. Twenty minutes into the time she was already planning her next trip. To be honest, I'm excited to go back too!
No comments:
Post a Comment