Monday, April 1, 2013

A very merry unbirthday, to our original April fool.

Today is Zoë's original due date, which is exciting for several reasons.  We've known her a whole ten weeks early, how special is that?  We know her faces, her cries, that her lip quiver means she's about to cry, that she loves bath time but hates getting out of the water, which outfits fit her best and which ones we can put on quickly to avoid the screaming that comes with her being naked.

What's most exciting is that now that we've reached her original due date (ODD), we can start checking off milestones.  To follow her progress, we'll use her adjusted age (her age from her ODD) to make sure she's on track.  If she's supposed to smile at us by two months, for example, we'll expect her to hit that milestone by the end of May, rather than, well, right now (because she's two+ months now).  This will be tough when we're explaining to strangers how old she is, but will be a more accurate gauge of her development.  So, speaking of development...

At her last doctor's appointment (last Thursday), Zoë measured 5 pounds 15.5 ounces (SO close to 6 pounds!) and she gained 24 grams per day on average.  This is right on target and Dr. Lee was pleased with her improvement in the weight gaining category.  She'll have another appointment in a week and a half for another weight check.  At six pounds, she's actually outgrown a hat and a few clothes.  Wow!  She's supposed to get another synagis shot this week but we haven't gotten the promised phone call from the pharmacy yet to see when and where to go get it.
"What do you MEAN I'm half an ounce away from six pounds?!"

I can't say that we've come very far in the sleeping department.  Zoë still prefers to be held day and night.  We'll worry about putting her down later.  I AM planning on heading to the library this week to see if I can snag a copy of the Happiest Baby on the Block to do some research.  :)  It's tough when the doctor told us that we can't let her cry it out...but then how in the heck do we get her to sleep in her crib?  Argh!

This week she can hold her head up when she's on our chests (It's amazing!  She holds it right up and looks at me!), looks us straight in the eye when we talk to her, and has been awake for two or so hours at a time once or twice a day to play and socialize.  These few precious hours are pretty fun and I feel like she's developing a personality!  We've been doing a lot of tummy time, both on her play mat and on our chests, and a lot of singing, reading, and playing with her toys.  She is starting to track objects when you move them in front of her, but she's not very consistent with that trick yet.  My favorite moments are when she and Chris are in a different room and I can hear him talking to her.  It's heart melting and I love it.

On Friday, Zoë, Fiona, and I went to the dog park.  Sheesh.  Our dog is crazy and found the ONLY mud puddle in the entire park and rolled in it repeatedly.  She was no longer a white dog ten minutes into our visit.  I didn't know whether or not I should laugh or cry, and almost had Chris come to the park on his way home to pick up Fiona, since she was absolutely trashed and I wasn't ready to deal with an infant AND a muddy, dirty dog on our first major outing.  We ended up getting home ok and poor Fiona had to have two baths (one inside and one outside).  Zoë did ok at the park, she was pretty much zonked out the entire time.

We went to a church in Des Moines for Easter service yesterday.  I would love to find a church family close by that I love as much as the church I grew up in, though I think it's going to be hard to do.  There is nothing like making a few quick friends as soon as you walk in with a baby in your arms.  I'm telling you, people flocked to us.  It might even rival walking in the park with a puppy.  :)  Zoë was very well behaved and was given a lot of attention, plus she looked amazing in her Easter dress and sweater and hat made by her two-Teta.



That's our update!  We got our pictures back, too, from our photo session a couple of weeks ago, and are in love with them.  Here are just a few that are pretty darn amazing.  There will be more hanging in our house soon, too, so come on by to see them.




1 comment:

  1. How totally precious!! I am SO glad you share your journey with us. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete