Friday, March 22, 2013

Happy Two Months, Zoë!

Shortly after Z was born
I cannot believe that Zoë was born two months ago and we've already had her home for two weeks.  Between the lack of sleep on our part and the lack of anything but change, feed, and sleep on hers, the time has flown by.



Two months later...

She and I went to her two month doctor's appointment yesterday.  She's now 5 pounds 10 ounces, though she's only gained on average 15 grams a day this past ten days.  The pediatrician would like that to be at 20 grams/day.  SO, we're probably going to up her caloric intake from 24 calories to 26 (Dr. Lee still has to call me to confirm what that recipe looks like).  I still need to supplement her nursing sessions with a bottle afterwards, and we're still limited to three per day.

Dr. Lee advised against taking Zoë on field trips (car or stroller) until two weeks after her original due date.  :(  That's a long ways away (so, we're talking mid-April).  I was really looking forward to throwing her in the stroller and taking her and Fiona for a good walk, but I guess it's going to have to wait.  Dr. Lee told me I didn't have to abide by that guideline, but she would highly recommend it, especially with Zoë's level of prematurity.  Of COURSE I'm going to listen to her, she's the expert!

Of course, Zoë also got her two month vaccinations, which included one oral vaccine and three needle pokes.  I was scared going in, which is weird knowing how many pokes, prods, and machines I saw her hooked up to in the first six weeks of her life.  As we were waiting for Dr. Lee to come into our room after the nurse left, the kid in the room next door to ours started WAILING and SCREAMING.  "Don't TOUCH me!  no! No! NO! PLEASE don't touch me!"  I felt like this went on FOREVER, and I, of course, burst into tears and left my room with Zoë in my arms.  I didn't really know where to go and there wasn't a nurse immediately outside of our room, so I awkwardly paced between the lobby and the room we were waiting in because I didn't want the doctor to come in and wonder where we were.  Finally, a nurse came by, asked if I was ok and if I wanted her to hold the baby.  NO, I did NOT want her to hold the baby.  But I can understand her concern for Zoë's safety as tears are streaming down my cheeks.

No big deal.  Now I'm just the lady who cries when OTHER people's kids gets shots.  Whatever.  By the way, the child screaming next door?  He was NINE.

 And, she screamed.  The screaming was pretty instantaneous but also over really quickly.  And she cried her first real tears.  Zoë was pretty fussy for the rest of the day and screamed like I've never heard a living thing scream before.  I was seriously concerned for my hearing.  Chris brought home some infant Tylenol (the lowest dosage is for a 6 pounder in our paperwork, so the nurse told us to do less than that, it would be ok) which, if she even kept any in her mouth, probably helped.  I held her until Chris came home and then he took over.  We watched Inglourious Bastards, drank wine and ate popcorn for date night, with a baby on our chests.  What a great night!


2 comments:

  1. Haha she hates her life in this pic. Moooommm, hold me!!!

    - Angela, your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the two month monkey pic! Doesn't she look like she's holding its arm!?!
    SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete