Monday, June 3, 2013

So much to be thankful for (play dates included)

Love that smile.
This past week has been a really good one for us, and not just because Chris had two three day weekends in a row.  :)  I've really enjoyed just being together as a family.  We've finally gotten a routine down that doesn't drive us crazy.  We've figured out Zoë's curious eating problems.  We can get projects done around the house (we take turns holding Zoë and getting stuff done).  We're running and taking care of ourselves health-wise.  Chris is enjoying his new job and I'm enjoying preparing for going back to school in the fall (I'm sure I'll do a complete 180 on that one, but we'll worry about that in August).  Our lives are so good and we have so much to be thankful for!

Zoë is continuing to grow and astound us with what she can do.  New things that are Exciting are:

  • She's using her hands more.  She's found her mouth, though she won't suck on her hand or fingers yet.  It's more of a random shoving it in there and ramming it over and over again against her gums.  
  • She's rubbing her eyes.  CUTE!
  • She has graduated to about 5 minutes of tummy time at a time.  FRUSTRATING, but I guess it's better than nothing.
  • She's still sleeping 6-8 hours per night consistently (and it's HEAVEN).
  • She LOVES to look around and is extremely observant.  She watches people and things as they move.  I think she prefers to look around now to having her head buried in one of our shoulders.  She enjoyed a few clips from Sesame Street on the cell phone with Dad the other day and was totally into it.
  • She has a new mobile that hangs above her crib and she's absolutely mesmerized by it.  We can lay her in there for 20 minutes to get something done and it's glorious.
  • She had her four month doctor's appointment (and vaccinations!) last week and STILL has not passed the 10 pound mark.  She was 9 pounds 12 ounces.  So close!!!
New things I worry about:
Smiley girl!
  • I am all of a sudden OBSESSED with the shape of her head.  I saw a picture the other day on Facebook on a preemie group I'm a part of comparing two babies' heads and one was SO flat.  I DO NOT want Zoë to have a flat head and I can SEE a little flatness in it.  I would like to have her sleep sitting up.  Is this reasonable?  Absolutely not.  Do I let her sleep for longer on my chest than I should each eating/sleeping cycle because I'm worried about her head?  Yes.  I want her to do tummy time for an hour at a time so that we can combat the flatness, but of course she's not excelling at that right now...we've got a small pillow on loan from one of the moms in my mom and baby group that is better than the huge Boppy pillow we were using, so hopefully that will help us increase from the 5 minute record we have right now. 
  • Now that she's an excellent night-time sleeper, I want her to conquer the daytime, too.  She still demands to be held most of the time and if I can get away it usually means pretending like I'm going to snuggle with her in the bed and then half rolling, half crawling off the bed in a ninja-like fashion to get away from her once she's asleep and PRAY that she doesn't feel me jostle the bed.  I'm sure this looks absolutely ridiculous and I'm so glad Chris isn't home in the daytime to see this ridiculous feat of acrobatics.
If you didn't know, I've been going to this mom and baby group at VMC for about a month now and it is the highlight of my week.  There are about ten other moms and babies that come and the leader, Denise, always has an educational topic to talk about (emergency preparedness, water safety, last week we learned about baby massage!) and then we spend time just talking and playing with the babies.  Oh. my. goodness.  It is fantastic.  I love all of my girlfriends who have had babies and ALL of the advice and guidance they give me (I NEED IT, don't get me wrong, and you're STILL on my speed dial), but there's something about being with moms who are doing the exact same thing I'm doing RIGHT NOW.  We talk about how little sleep we're getting (I keep quiet about how much Zoë is actually sleeping, I need FRIENDS, for heaven's sake!), challenges in eating, clothing tips, our husbands, breastfeeding, expectations of motherhood and more.

And one awfully cute pout.
If I've spoken to you since last Wednesday on the phone or in person than you know the greatest thing to ever happen to me has happened.  Zoë and I were INVITED TO A PLAY DATE by one of the moms in the group.  Chris likened it to being asked to Prom today, and I completely agree.  I was giddy with excitement when a mom asked me to join her and a few others at her house for a play date with our babies tomorrow.  I feel like I'm attending the first day of middle school, I'm so nervous and excited at the same time.  What if I don't know what to say?  What if they don't like me?  What if Zoë is so high maintenance tomorrow that we have to leave and then they talk about us?  And of course, in my head, I envision a play date filled with the babies rolling around on the floor together (uh, two of them can't roll yet) and the moms drinking several bottles of white wine together.  This is my idea of a play date.  :)  UPDATE:  The playdate was cancelled because her baby is sick.  I am very appreciative, though, because I don't want Zoë to get sick at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment